Thursday, August 28, 2008

2 months old and growing like a weed

This is a bit after the fact, but Evan turned two months old on August 11. It's very cliche, but I can't believe how fast this is all going! (So I write, as I sit here currently marvelling at how he is now, in reality 11 weeks old). We had fun dressing him up for a little photo shoot. It really is pretty neat to look back at his 1-, 2-. and 3-week pictures versus now. Our little guy has no problem sitting up on his own (propped up against the couch cushions anyway), whereas he was quite the floppy one way back when. I just know he's going to be 18 and going off to college before I know it. Dave thinks I'm being dramatic (then again, Dave always thinks I'm being dramatic) but whatever. It will come sooner than I think. Anyway, here's our little man at two months old:

And as you can see, he's starting to hold his own against the size of his caterpillar.
Crazy.

Evan also had his 2 month old checkup on August 20. He passed everything with flying colors, and really is growing fast. He's now 13.3 pounds and 24 inches long, placing him in the 85th percentile for weight and 90th for height. Maybe he will get some height from the Speares men after all. He got all his vaccines - 6 in all - and took it like a champ. With Dave holding him, he only screamed for about 20 seconds before calming down and getting on with his day. Dave and I were appalled, however, when our nurse, in her hurry to stick Evan and be finished with it lost her grip on the needle and left it sticking in poor Evan's leg! Of course she caught herself about a millisecond later and took it out but our new parent mentality kicked in and we were momentarily devastated. Evan, as you can imagine, realized none of this and took it all like a champ. He was, however, quite out of it and running a mild temp for a few days afterward, which we are told is a normal side effect.

Dr. Appley was impressed (or so it seemed to us) =) by how strong Evan is and how far he can lift his head up. I had a Proud Mommy Moment when she asked if he's started being social, and as if on cue, he looked straight at her, smiled and cooed. Tada!! We did tell her about Evan's dairy and soy issues and she said we would likely hold off on starting solid foods until 6 months because of it. I told her about a bump I'd noticed on the back of his head, which turned out to be an occipital lymph node, totally normal, and in fact she found another one as well, so he has them bilaterally. She took a good look at his eyes, pronounced them as "starting to turn hazel", and said she was curious to see where they'd end up. We pointed out the Evan actually has two different colored eyes - the top half of his left eye is brown - and she said she has a couple of patients who have streaks of different colors like that, and they may actually stay that way. That would be pretty neat I think. Here's what I mean:

And here's one last shot of Evan and his bandaids, post-vaccinations. If you look closely, you'll see Evan pointing with pride as his shiny sparkly bandaids (which in reality were way more exciting for Mommy than for Evan). =)

No comments: