Around this time, we also took Evan to his first-ever day of daycare. What a hectic time! It turns out daycare is fabulous - we heart Miss Betty - but all the drama surrounding our first day was something for the Bad Parents memory books. Here's what I wrote on the day (which I couldn't post until now because Type A me didn't want to get things out of order...neurotic much?):
Oh, what a day. Today was not a shining star moment in Mommyhood for me. Oh, the trials and tribulations of parenthood!
Today was Evan's first-ever day in daycare, and oh, the drama that ensued! The idea of today started out innocently enough - Dave had some work to do for a client, and needed the day off from Evan. We figured this would happen at some point, and so a few weeks ago went to meet Miss Betty, who runs an in-home daycare. A friend of mine takes all three of her kids to Miss Betty's, and she's just wonderful. She's a retired NICU nurse, loves kids, just great great great.
Last night started out well enough too. We actually packed up ahead of time, remembering to count all the diapers and bottles and bibs we would need. Then 12:30 happened. And 2:30 and 3:30 and 5:30. Evan, who has not been sleeping well lately, woke up seemingly millions of times last night. So that started us off on the wrong foot. Then, because he didn't sleep well he was sleepy and cranky while we got ready for the day. And because Evan didn't sleep well, I didn't sleep well, and was running late.
So, in an effort to save time, I brought Evan in with me to the bedroom while I was getting ready. He's not that mobile yet, right? I layed him down on the bed and went about my business. Life was good until I heard a big THWAAPP, and then silence. My heart jumped to my throat and I ran to the bedroom to find Evan face down on the floor (hard floor!) next to the bed. I let my baby roll off the bed! I know they say all kids will do it at some point and you will feel as guilty as the next mom for letting it happen, but you don't really believe it will happen to you unless it does. So there, now I've officially outed myself.
I ran to scoop Evan up, feeling sure he had at least a concussion, but luckily, I think he was more stunned than anything else. He did cry, but I think it may have been because I was cryer louder and harder than he ever could, which Dave had to tell me to knock off because I was scaring him.
So that started out the morning. We finally did get Evan all packed up and I drove him to daycare, since it's closer to my work than home. All went well reintroducing him to Miss Betty and the other kids...until it came time to talk about his bottles for the day. Bottles? What bottles? Dave had forgotten to pack them up! So here I was, already feeling like a crappy mom, running late for work, with a hungry kid and nothing to feed him with. A frantic phone call to Dave had him changing plans to drive out to Miss Betty's with the bottle bag, and I left for work and left Miss Betty with our poor starving child. When Dave finally arrived with the goods, poor Evan was screaming his head off and all Miss Betty said was "Well, I guess you won't forget that again, will you?"
In the end, Evan did have a pretty good first day at daycare, and Miss Betty was right, we sure never have forgotten those bottles again!
1 comment:
Sure Jen, throw Evan under the bus for causing you to be late. I guess while you're at it, you threw Dave under there too for forgetting the milk. At least there was no blood, this time...Don't worry, you'll get through that as well. I guess Dave will be hard at work this weekend installing the padded floors - just kidding Jen, they don't make those.
Love,
Steve, Amy, and Landon+1
Post a Comment